News from the UK Angling Championships



The Battle Of Barston




Round 3 of the prestigious UK Angling Championship saw drama before the event had even started as a last minute closure of Larford Lake meant the round had to be re-homed. Fortunately event organiser Nigel Harrhy stepped into the breach and offered his own venue free of any charge and the event was back on.  
The ever consistent Pete Bailey held pole position going into round 3 with two section wins from two, but top rods Jon Arthur and Chris Vandervleit were hot on his heels just one point behind in the race for the overall title. It was to be a crucial match, and the wind and rain would mean that the usually productive pole line would be awkward at best. Barston is known for it's massive head of skimmers and F1s, but a recent British Carp Angling Championships semi final saw over 7000lbs of carp landed, most of which were into double figures, so the carp could not be ruled out.  
The field seemed split into two distinct types of anglers. Those still in with a chance of the overall title generally started on the pole. Those that
were out for a match win opted for the feeder, and with a heavy tow causing problems for the pole boys and the fact that the bream were not getting their heads down in the required numbers, it was the feeder that proved to be more successful on the day. Backing off the wind in the low numbers, Paul "Tommy" Hillier fished the feeder and dead maggot tight to the far margins to catch a decent stamp of carp throughout the match and ended up with a massive 66kg 400g by the final call. Elsewhere around the pond the sections were very tight but one or two anglers shone. Andy May managed a magnificent 53kg, just 1.6 kg short of second placed Mick Dagnall who netted 54kg 600g for second. It was carp and decent bream that were making the big weights.  
Everyone caught fish, and the sections seemed very even all around the pond. The majority of the Championship contenders quoted that they were "having a mare" and this included Pete Bailey. However at the final check it transpired that Pete's nightmare turned into a dream with a third place in a tough section whilst his fellow championship contenders ended up further down in their sections.  
Barston had been a roller coaster for the league table. Some shot up, others fell down, but when the dust had settled it was clear that Baileys 3rd was enough to keep him at the top on 5 points with Darren "hotshot" Cox just one point behind on 6. The chasing pack follow on 9, so Cox and Bailey now go head to head in the final round for the title and only a serious mishap for either of them will hand the title to someone else. However, never say never, as this round has shown.  
The deciding match takes place at Barston on the 9th August when the new UK Champ will be crowned. Between now and then a fair portion of the FishOMania field is made up with UKAC anglers so best wishes and good luck from the team and your fellow competitors. May the force be with you!

You can find out more info at

Rob Hughes



Round 3 Results
Section Angler Weight
A Paul Hiller 66.400
B Andy May 53.000
C Mick Dagnall 54.000
D Stu Ballard 44.000
E Andy Botterill 24.000
F Steve Rotherly 25.000
G Carl Elland 29.000
H Mark Jones 32.000








Official Sponsors of