A Close To The Chapter with Cain Naylor

Wed 22 October 14


After a long week at school and the last of my GCSE’s completed Friday afternoon was upon me and that meant only one thing… FISHING!! the gear was packed and off I set, so me and a friend set off to the lake, a local club water in Bedfordshire.

After arriving to the rather busy lake at around 4.30pm on the Friday afternoon, me and a friend of mine were greeted by two empty swims… One of the popular swims (a swim that I had recently been in and had lost several fish from fishing to a small silt gulley which ran tight to a weed bed) and a swim at the other end of the lake which had the warm westerly wind hammering into it.. With the idea of a ‘social’ in our heads we both decided to set up in the swim which I had previously been in… We both cast out me to the spot I had previously found and spodded out 200/300 16mm boilies both hole and halved and my friend fished tight to the island.

the business end consisted of 8 inches of fox cortex matt hook link, a size 6 Fox Arma point hook attached with a standard knotless knot, fished blow-back style with a micro rig ring and two blobs of Nash Cling on putty dotted down the hook link. The rig was finished off with a Nash Diffusion anti-tangle sleeve and a figure of eight loop knot, attached to a Nash diffusion safety clip leader.

The baited rig

We were awoken by a screaming alarm at 1am and shortly after I slid the net under my mates 23lb mirror, the night had passed and I had awoken at 5am to look for any activity or movement in the water. Feeling rather disappointed that I had not had any action on the bobbins I started racking my brain for ideas on what was wrong. ‘were the rigs tangled’ ‘is the bait still on’ ‘are they on the spot properly’ all feelings I’m sure we’ve all felt in our angling at one time or another. But my disbelief was soon put to an end when the low tone from my alarm took off at what seemed like 100mph. After a long and hard fight the fish was in the net! After putting the fish on the unhooking mat and unhooking the rig, I had a look at the fish, I saw the half lin scale pattern and was sure I had one of the named fish, ‘the half lin’ a fish that usually goes around the 30lb mark. so I put the fish into my retainer sling and let it rest whilst I sorted all the kit out.

40lbs 8ozs

Shortly after I had positioned the unhooking mat and got the fish back out. As I lifted the fish out the water I said to me friend ‘this feels bloody heavy’. I lifted the fish up on the scales and my friend said, “hold on I think my scales are wrong” “why” I said. “there saying its only 11lb 8oz’s…” So after putting the fish back down and hoisting it up again. It was clear where the mistake was made. We had missed the dial going round the Reuben Heaton’s once and then they settled… A NEW LAKE RECORD AND P.B OF 41lb 08oz!!

So with the weighing done I took a better look at the fish it was clear to see where the mistake was made. The other side of the fish only had one eye. it was the lakes biggest resident of which its previous biggest weight was the winter before at 38lb. now came time for the pictures, as a lifted up what felt like a tonne of old English mirror carp my friend took the golden pictures. A bit of care kit on its mouth and it was time to slip the beauty back to her home ready for another angler another day. So after 3 years on the club and finally catching the big girl and my first 40lb fish, it was a close to a chapter in my angling and time to move on and open the next chapter, to find a new venue, in search of a new target fish… but that story is for another day!

End of the chaptor

Until next time, good luck in your own angling,
Cain Naylor.

To follow Cain on facebook simply click on the facebook logo to the right!


Visit the Website: https://www.facebook.com/cain.naylor.94